Master of Science in Informatics at Grenoble, Option Artificial Intelligence and the Web
"The semantic web: from XML to OWL - Foundations for XML" is a course on the foundations for processing tree-shaped data given in the Master of Science in Informatics at Grenoble at the University Grenoble Alpes. This course aims at introducing programming language foundations, algorithms and tools for processing tree-structured information, and for the analysis of queries and programs that manipulate trees. It consists in an introduction to relevant theoretical tools with an application to NoSQL and XML technologies in particular. The theoretical part introduces tree grammars, finite tree automata, classical tree logics and a recent mu-calculus of finite trees, in connection to practical problems and technologies such as XPath/XQuery, DTD, schemas, etc. Applications are illustrated through scalable validation of document streams, efficient query evaluation, static analysis of expressive queries in the presence of constraints, and static type-checking of programs manipulating labeled trees. The course also aims at presenting challenges, important results, and open theoretical issues in the area of NoSQL programming. Pointers to teaching material can be found below.
|Core XML: XML, DTD, XML Schema, XML Parsing||slides|
|Excursion (streaming DTD validation with SAX)||slides|
|XQuery and Static Type-Checking||slides|
|Foundations of XML Types: An Introduction||slides|
|Finite Tree Automata (inspired by W. Martens and T. Schwentick)||slides|
|First-Order Logic and Monadic Second-Order Logic||slides|
|Advanced Static Analysis for XML/XPath||slides|
You may also want to have a look at some other recommended reading material prepared by colleagues.
- The semantic web: from XML to OWL, University of Grenoble, International Master of Computer Science, 2009-2014 (previous editions).
- Foundations of Tree Types, EPFL, March 2009.
- XML Essentials, ENSIMAG/TELECOM 3A, December 2008.
- Le web sémantique: de XML à OWL, Grenoble Universités, 2008-2009, Master recherche 2ème année.
- Foundations of XML Types: Tree Grammars and Tree Automata, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Master 2nd year, April 2008.
- Introduction à l'analyse statique et aux méthodes formelles pour XML, cours de Master 2R, Module "AAS", Université Joseph Fourier, 2007-2008
- Advanced XSLT programming, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL, Switzerland), 2nd year Master course, with Christine Vanoirbeek, 2007
- Méthodes formelles pour XML: algorithmes & complexité, cours de Master 2R, Module "MW", Université Joseph Fourier de Grenoble (France), 2006-2007